Wednesday 25 January 2012

Old school pudding

Earlier in the week i googled Old school puddings.My children used to have a chocolate pudding at school, served with chocolate custard.

I found this recipe




"chocolate crunch" which they seem to serve quite often at school dinners and the kids love it:
Melt 4oz margarine in a saucepan, add 1tsp vanilla essence.
Mix 8oz Self Raising Flour, 4oz sugar and 1 oz cocoa powder in a bowl and then stir in the melted marg with 1 beaten egg.
Press into a greased swiss roll tin (or similar). Brush top with water and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at gas 3-4 (sorry don't know equivalent for electric) for 30 minutes. Cut into squares while still warm
I usually buy an instant chocolate custard packet mix to have with this (from Morrison's) but you can use a chocolate blancmange as custard or even make your own with cornflour, cocoa powder, milk and sugar. 

I served it with Chocolate custard ( a small pot i had in the cupboard from a previous Tesco glitch)


This is a 2nd helping ( explaining why choc is up the side of bowl)


It was lovely.

Dinner was cheap and cheerful.I had left over fish pie.OH had frying steak which had 25% off in Lidl and homemade chips.
Definitely not £50 worth of food wasted a week in this house.


I went to my eldest dd for a quick cuppa this morning before both of us went to work.
Her landlady had a book on the side that i had a quick look through called

Nice and simple I'm so tempted to get it.I have some vouchers which 
i could use but i was saving these for Christmas so not sure what to do.
I begrudge spending money big time.

6 comments:

  1. We used a fantastic website with a forum when we started - it's allotment.org.uk. There's loads of information on there , and the people on the forum are only too happy to help if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you
      i think you have just saved me from buying that book
      nto
      x

      Delete
    2. That's great. Now you won't have to use your vouchers!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, that looks delicious. You could check if they have the book in the library, or if not, they can usually order it in for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading all about lovely comfort food is making me feel really hungry.My favourite comfort pud has to be sticky toffee and custard.X

    ReplyDelete